Acer Aspire 5745DG is one of few laptops with 3D picture capabilities, but make no mistake – it packs a mean punch as it is. You’ll get special Nvidia’s 3D Vision 3D glasses in the package. Although Acer 5745DG does not come with Optimus, meaning that Intel’s IGP is off all
the time, the battery is pretty good and will last several hours depending on what you’re doing.
One of the most interesting things on the Aspire 5745DG is the 3D capability, courtesy of Nvidia’s 3D Vision. As you know, the flat screen shows only 2D with no depth perception information. When you put the shutter glasses on, however, 3D Vision will make sure that the
user gets a feeling of depth, i.e. the third dimension. Of course, 3D is not only reserved for static pictures and will run good in games as well.
Currently, the 3D movie on a notebook is no longer just a dream because Acer has launched the Acer Aspire 5745DG equipped NVIDIA 3D Vision in the sales package. Acer Aspire 5745DG entered the ranks of notebook class entertainment with a piano finish color and a thin horizontal line of gray on its LCD screen cover. The dimensions of this notebook is quite big because it the use a glossy screen of 15.6 inch 120Hz. You can adjust the size of a full keyboard that is designed like a desktop keyboard. Even so, this notebook has a weight that is roughly equal to notebooks in general. This notebook powered by Intel Core i7 740 Quad mobile. That means you have a HT processor with four cores (a total of eight threads), considerable amounts to a notebook. For hard disk capacity, the Acer Aspire 5745DG provides 640
GB for your data storage.
CPU : 2.4GHz Intel Core i5-450M
Operating System : MS Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
RAM : 4GB
RAM Upgradeable to : 8GB
Hard Drive Size : 500GB
Hard Drive Speed : 5,400rpm
Hard Drive Type : SATA Hard Drive
Display Size : 15.6
Native Resolution : 1366×768
Optical Drive : DVD SuperMultiDrive
Optical Drive Speed : 8X
Graphics Card : Nvidia GeForce GT 425M
Video Memory : 1GB
Wi-Fi : 802.11b/g/n
Wi-Fi Model : Atheros ARB97
Touchpad size : 3.5 x 1.9 inches
Ports (excluding USB) : Ethernet; HDMI; Headphone; Kensington Lock; Microphone; VGA
USB Ports : 4
Card Slots : 5-1 card reader
Warranty : One year limited
Size : 15 x 9.8 x 1.3- 2.3 inches
Weight : 6.6 pounds
When you look at the specifications above, there are new technologies that are embedded in it. Acer Aspire 5745DG using NVIDIA graphics GT425M series Fermi mobile version that supports DX11. With NVIDIA 3D Vision on the notebook users could experience the 3D sensations and
also good sounds from Dolby Home Theater. Unfortunately, the included media player can’t be used to play movies with certain codecs. With the NVIDIA 3D Vision, you can play games in 3D.
Connectivity includes WiFi b/g/n, gigabit ethernet, HDMI, four USB 2.0 ports and audio in/out (with S/PDIF), along with a DVD burner and multi-format memory card reader. No Blu-ray, however, which seems a bizarre omission on a media-centric machine, nor eSATA, USB 3.0 or
ExpressCard. A webcam above the screen and integrated microphone round out the main specs.
In the box there’s also a set of NVIDIA’s 3D Vision glasses, recharged via miniUSB. These take advantage of the 5745DG’s 120Hz display, synchronizing with an infra-red emitter built into the bezel and flicking the view between the two lenses while the GPU serves up each
half of a 3D image alternately. The end result is a 60Hz 3D picture.
The use of the latest Intel i7 740QM for mobile platforms on this notebook shows a high value when the benchmark using Sysmark 2007. With this notebook, you can do upper-middle range of applications quite fluently.
From MobileMark 2007 benchmark results that this notebook can survive up to 288 minutes, equivalent to 4 hours more with battery capacity of 9000mAh
The use of NVIDIA graphics GT425M has been supports CUDA technology so we did a benchmark on two conditions. First, we do so using the CPU, then repeated again using the GPU. The results, use a faster GPU than the CPU is finished. This shows that the CUDA run quite well on the GPU when doing this job.
There’s no denying that NVIDIA’s 3D Vision technology works, although those who already wear glasses or struggle to remember to charge their phone will likely find the necessary 3D eyewear a frustration. The question we’re left asking is why Acer decided to cut corners on the optical drive, given you’d expect the company to want Aspire 5745DG owners to have access to as much 3D content as possible. With no Blu-ray option, that choice is seriously curtailed. The limitations of the NVIDIA GPU, meanwhile, mean 3D gaming isn’t quite the Acer’s
natural forte either. There are plenty of games that run perfectly well on the GeForce GT 425M, but they’re generally not the most recent and that doesn’t bode well for future 3D titles on the Aspire. Mix in the absence of Optimus technology and its impact on battery life, and you’re left with a fair few compromises for the Aspire 5745DG’s 3D offering.
For most users, those compromises are unlikely to be worth the benefits. 120Hz displays on notebooks are relatively rare today, but as 3D Vision gains traction we imagine that will change; holding off will also give GPUs a chance to catch up and offer more future-proofing for system-intensive gaming. A combination of lacklustre content availability and middling performance leaves the Acer Aspire 5745DG-3855 underwhelming.
• NVIDIA 3D Vision
• High endurance
• Player codec not support all media types and the operation a little difficult.
Related Computer Tutorial:
- The Latest Acer Aspire 4755G Notebook with New Design and Better Performance from the Latest Series Acer recently introduced a new notebook called the Acer Aspire 4755G. The new Acer Aspire 4755G laptop is a combination of optimal processing power and excellent graphic capabilities. This new...
- Acer Aspire 5951G Ethos Notebook Comes with 15.6 Inch Screen and Good Performance Acer the famous notebook manfacture has launch the latest Acer Aspire 5951G Ethos Notebook with wide 15.6 inch screen to comforts its users. Acer Aspire 5951G Ethos comes with an...
- The Acer Aspire 5942G Notebook With Good Design And Performance Acer is known for producing good-value laptops that are brimming with features. Acer recently looking very seriously shows their existence as a brand for hi-tech notebook technology fans. Packing an...
- Fun and Good Gaming Experience with The Acer Aspire 4755G Notebook With the development increase on notebook technology, today notebook could role in playing games just like on the PC. One of them is the Acer Aspire 4755G notebook. Although this...
- The Acer Aspire 5738PG Touch Screen Notebook With Interesting Features And Performance Are you ready to reach out and touch your notebook? Acer wants you to do just that with its Aspire 5738PG, a 15.6-inch laptop that utilizes Windows 7 touchscreen support...